For some reason real life meant I couldn’t post the rankings I gave these films earlier… but here goes nothing.
My film rankings from the movies I viewed at the Sydney Film Festival (2010).
- Yo Tambien (Me Too) 5/5 – Favourite of the festival (and so far #1 film of 2010) with top-notch performances especially by Lola Duenas.
- Home By Christmas 4.5/5 – brilliant doco-drama – some of the footage I could relate to because of where it took place.
- Kawasaki’s Rose 4/5 – very well crafted Czech Republic film (their submission for the Oscars) where you just watch as all the pieces fall into place.
- The Kids Are All Right – 4/5 – top performances, indie film of 2010 so far and Bening in particular gives a potentially Oscar winning performance.
- The Tree 4/5 – Australia-French co-production which delves into the how people cope when a loved one dies – look out for Morgana Davies to have a bright future ahead of her.
- The Loved Ones 4/5 – little Aussie horror film which didn’t ignite the box office in Australia when it opened, but Robin McLeavy is an absolute stand out in this.
- White Material 4/5 – Huppert could get a Cesar nomination for her performance in this – very dark film that shows the racial divisions in Africa.
- How I Ended This Summer 3.5/5 – Russian film which has picked up deserved awards – the cinematography in particular is stunning, a bit slow at times.
- South Solitary 3/5 – a film that could have been done better – it was a film of two Acts, like Summer was slow at times but did have good cinematography.
- Uncle Boonmee Recalls Past Lives 2.5/5 – not sure if it was because of the time of day I saw this film but I could just not get into it and don’t get me wrong usually these types of films I love.
- Four Lions 2/5 – I laughed with it when watching but on reflection did not like it at all.